Class K - COIDA / WCA Tariffs of Assessment
COIDA / WCA ensures that all employees who may be disabled by injuries on duty or diseases, which they may have suffered or contracted during the duration of their employment, are adequately compensated.
COIDA / WCA also provides compensation should the disablement, caused either by injuries or disease, lead to death in addition to providing for all matters which are connected herewith. Read more about Class K (or refer to the other classes in the introduction blog here).
COIDA / WCA Annual Assessment
Annually, the Compensation Commissioner performs an assessment on all COIDA / WCA -registered employees spread across all industries. Each employer is divided into an industry class and a subsequent sub-class.
There is a yearly fee, calculated according to the total of all employees’ salaries divided by 100 and then multiplied by the assessment tariff, which must be paid 30 days after the employer has been assessed, as per Section 86.1 of COIDA.
The tariff structure will change from 2021 onwards, and it is for this reason that Class K tariffs for 2020 and the next five years have been calculated. These fees may change depending on changes in the risk ratios.
It is important that employers take note that this year’s assessment will be calculated as follows – the final assessment for salaries and wages for 2020 will be based on last year’s tariff rates and the provisional calculations for salaries and wages for 2021 will be calculated on the new gazetted tariff rates.
The tariffs which are introduced will replace the W.AS. 178T notice and are as follow:
Table 1: Class K current and prospective tariffs
Alt Class Compensation Fund
5-Year Phase In:
Quarrying & Crushing
Steel Construction & Erection
Marble & Granite Manufacturing
Tar Asbestos Bitumen
0300 – Ocean Fishing – Class III
- This includes fishing, rock lobster catching, whaling and sealing, all operations including that of boat repairs along with activities of all sea-going personnel. However, this excludes land-based processing.
- Factory ships – all operations.
0400 – Underground Mining – Class IV
This includes the following businesses:
- The underground mining and/or prospecting of any kind of mineral, metal and precious or semi-precious stones where activities such as these are conducted by means of shafts, tunnels, and winces. However, this excludes coal mining.
- Mine dump contracting.
0440 – Quarrying and Crushing – Class IV
This includes the quarrying of stone, flint, lime, etc. and includes stone crushing and all other operations relating thereto.
0530 – Steel Construction and Erection – Class V
This includes the following businesses:
- The erection and/or dismantling of steel structures as well as industrial plants which includes constructional steel engineering.
- The erection and/or dismantling of scaffolds including shuttering.
- Any work which relates to the alteration, repair, or demolition of buildings, steeples, towers or chimney shafts which are more than 12 metres high, as a business.
1211 – Concrete Works – Class XII
This includes the manufacturing of concrete products as a separate business.
1230 – Marble and Granite Manufacturing – Class XII
This includes the manufacturing of granite and/or marble products including monumental works and sculpture as a separate business.
1420 – Tar Asbestos Bitumen - XIV
- This includes the manufacturing of asbestos products as long as it is not carried out as an operation relating to the mining of asbestos.
- Manufacturing of bitumen products.
What does SafetyWallet do for its subscriber?
Where COIDA / WCA is specifically concerned, SafetyWallet via its appointed partner MAKROSAFE handles the submission of relevant documents, administration of Injury on Duty, or IODs, the submission of claims and the return of earnings.
In addition, SafetyWallet also offers subscribers an array of services in ensuring compliance with COIDA / WCA and other relevant legislation. As a start, subscribers are provided with a Health and Safety Training platform that offers access to e-Learning short courses.
These are easily accessible and cover the broad spectrum of the Health and Safety arena.
Blogs - COID ACT - COIDA-WCA-Assessment-Tariff-Categories-Classes