To meet the legal and organisational specifications regulating the reporting and investigations of incidents as well as accidents in the workplace, accident and incident investigation requires a guided approach.
The focus is on ensuring that the applicable governance procedure as well as legal and organisational specific requirements are followed, and that they can be explained.
This is to ensure that effective accident and incident investigation management process can be managed and facilitated adequately.
Aim of the Course
This course outlines the requirements that must be followed to not only secure the accident/incident scene but handle and managed injured persons, facilities, and dealing with the process involved with initial reporting of the accident/incident.
This involves the requirements associated with both managing and gathering of physical evidence along with the resources to be used during the investigation, how it is processed, and how the information is compiled for the feedback report.
Another key objective is to outline the consequences derived from non-compliance with both legal and organisational specific requirements in terms of the impact of an accident/incident in the workplace.
In addition, it is to highlight the gathering of information which may include the purpose, the type and extent of the information in accordance with prevailing circumstances. These resources may include, but is not limited to:
- Human Resources
- Tools, and
The learner will, in addition, be informed on how post-investigation activities should be conducted by ensuring that all the correct reports are completed in the required format, including, but not limited to:
- Investigation reports
- Compensation reports
- Required Government Departmental documentation, and
- Organisation specific documentation.
Another key component of this training includes the submission of reports to the relevant authorities and organisational departments. In addition, feedback must be provided and required recommendations made on preventative measures to be put in place.
Upon completion of this course, the attending candidate will be able to:
- Have gained knowledge regarding the theory and principles surrounding accident and incident investigation.
- Identify and adequately solve problems which may impact the process of investigating in both the initial responses as well as fulfil the prescribed requirements to follow at an accident scene.
- Investigate an incident as well as gather and collect critical evidence along with analysing and describing the review or follow-up processes.
- Design and initialise an appropriate response or report and evaluate the necessity for the formulation, development, and implementation of an incident management plan.
- Evaluate possible critical incidents in the workplace and subsequently review and monitor the implementation of an incident management plan.
Key Content Covered
The content of this course has been formulated around the prescriptive requirements as depicted in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 85 of 1993 along with General Administrative Regulations and all other specific outcomes, including but not limited to:
- The introduction to and the aim of Accident and Incident Investigation as per the legal obligations and the described definitions.
- The responsibilities along with other legal requirements associated with Accident and Incident Investigations.
- The consequences derived from non-compliance along with the procedure to follow when an incident or accident has occurred, and
- Complete Accident and Incident reports as well as provide the required feedback of findings.
The candidate attending the course will be assessed against the outcomes of each element through the completion of a subscribed knowledge assessment. The assessment will cover the essential embedded knowledge as stipulated in the course and will ensure that the candidate can apply the learning to a working situation.
Conditions of enrolment and certification
To gain access to this training program, it is mandatory that the employer subscribe to the Makrosafe Holdings and OHS Online SafetyWallet program so that the learner can enrol to any of the allowable training programs.
Attending candidates must obtain a pass mark of at least 75% or higher is necessary in each Modular Assessment. Should these conditions have been met, the candidate will receive an accredited Certificate of Completion.
Register and book your course via My Safety Shop
Other Training Availible
- Accident and Incident Investigation E-learning
- Drug Testing in the Workplace
- Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training Course
- Basic Fire Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Basic First Aid Level 1 e-Learning Training Course
- COID – Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Covid-19 Workplace Induction e-Learning Training Course
- Driven Machinery e-Learning Training Course
- Effective Contractor Management e-Learning Training Course
- Electrical Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
- General Driving Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Hazardous Chemical Substances HCS in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Health and Safety Representative Functions in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- HIV and AIDS Prevention in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Incident Reporting e-Learning Training Course
- Introduction to Working at heights and Fall Protection e-Learning
- Lifting Machine Operator Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Managing Infectious Disease in the Workplace e-Learning Training
- Occupational and Work-related Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Occupational Health and Safety Act for Management e-Learning
- Occupational Health Monitoring, e-Learning Training Course
- Permit to Work Systems e-Learning Training Course
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) e-Learning Training Course
- Planned Task Observations e-Learning Training Course
- Smoking in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Vehicle Management (Work-related Vehicle Safety) e-Learning
- Waste Recycling e-Learning Training Course
- Measuring and Monitoring of Workplace Conditions, e-Learning