The provision of a safe and healthy working environment for all employees is imperative. Frequent drug testing is one action which can be taken by an employer to determine whether employees or job applicants are using substances.
This can include evidence of recent use of alcohol, prescription medication, or illicit drugs.
When implemented on a clear, written policy shared with all employee, drug testing is effective, and all employees can be educated efficiently regarding the dangers of alcohol and substance abuse.
There are numerous safety and health hazards which arise from the abuse of alcohol and substances which can result in decreased productivity and promote poor morale in employees.
In addition, alcohol and substance abuse can lead to additional costs in the form of healthcare claims especially where short-term disability claims are concerned.
Aim of the Course
The aim of the course is to create awareness of the most common substances in the workplace and to ensure that the employer takes responsibility for implementing an alcohol and substance screening and testing procedure in the workplace.
The formulation of such policy involves input from all workers on all levels, and the objective of such is to discourage the use of alcohol and substances in the workplace.
The candidate will be equipped with the knowledge of the prescribed legal obligations of the employer which includes the formulation of a preventative alcohol and substance program. This will be inclusive of a relevant policy and procedure.
Supervisors can be trained to identify the signs and symptoms of alcohol and substance abuse and this course can pave the way for the introduction of an Employee Wellness Assistance Program, or EWAP, to provide help for employees with alcohol or substance abuse addiction.
The objective behind this course is not only to create awareness of the presence of alcohol and substance abuse, but to educate and inform candidates of the types of tests that can be conducted and to prepare the candidate on the process involved.
This course also makes provision for the required disciplinary processes involved and the steps to be taken when and should employees test positive for alcohol or substances.
Upon completion of this course, the attending candidate will be able to:
- Be aware and identify situations and conditions which affects the ability of the employee to perform their work by understanding the procedural requirements when affected.
- Differentiate between the methods of alcohol and substance testing.
- Explain and develop a hazard assessment programme pertaining to the management and prevention of alcohol and substance abuse in the workplace, and
- Ensure that there is adequate monitoring by supervision as reflected by the severity of the risks involved and the ability of employees to avoid them.
Key Content Covered
The content of this course is formulated in such a way to prevent the use and abuse of alcohol and substances in the workplace and to ensure that relevant procedures are in place.
This is to ensure that conditions pertaining to alcohol and substance abuse can effectively be managed and that employees are encouraged to undergo screening daily when entering the workplace.
Key contents covered in this course includes, but is not limited to:
- The identification of safety, health, and environmental hazards through the inclusion of safety responsibilities and accountabilities through problem-solving and decision-making using critical thinking when implementing safe work procedures.
- The implementation of such procedures without risking the health or safety of employees and the correct identification and management of problems pertaining to conditions that may cause or result in accidents or incidents.
- Evaluation of potential hazards and implementation of required processes to promote health and safety of employees by ensuring the correct management of alcohol and substance use.
- Management and control of alcohol and substance use and abuse through screening, testing, and inspections with the purpose of creating a safe and healthy working environment.
- Preparation for the steps to be taken in ensuring that entry into the workplace provides the employer with the right to perform alcohol and substance testing.
- The monitoring of employees who test positive for alcohol and substances, and
- The responsibility of the employer to keep the results from alcohol and substance testing confidential.
The candidate attending the course will be assessed against the outcomes of each element through the completion of a subscribed knowledge assessment. These assessments will cover the essential embedded knowledge as stipulated in the course and will ensure that the candidate can apply the learning to a working situation.
Conditions of enrolment and certification
To gain access to this training program, it is mandatory that the employer subscribe to the Makrosafe Holdings and OHS Online SafetyWallet program so that the learner can enrol to any of the allowable training programs.
Attending candidates must obtain a pass mark of at least 75% or higher is necessary in each Modular Assessment. Should these conditions have been met, the candidate will receive an accredited Certificate of Completion.
Register and book your course via My Safety Shop
Other Training Availible
- Accident and Incident Investigation E-learning
- Drug Testing in the Workplace
- Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training Course
- Basic Fire Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Basic First Aid Level 1 e-Learning Training Course
- COID – Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Covid-19 Workplace Induction e-Learning Training Course
- Driven Machinery e-Learning Training Course
- Effective Contractor Management e-Learning Training Course
- Electrical Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
- General Driving Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Hazardous Chemical Substances HCS in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Health and Safety Representative Functions in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- HIV and AIDS Prevention in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Incident Reporting e-Learning Training Course
- Introduction to Working at heights and Fall Protection e-Learning
- Lifting Machine Operator Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Managing Infectious Disease in the Workplace e-Learning Training
- Occupational and Work-related Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Occupational Health and Safety Act for Management e-Learning
- Occupational Health Monitoring, e-Learning Training Course
- Permit to Work Systems e-Learning Training Course
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) e-Learning Training Course
- Planned Task Observations e-Learning Training Course
- Smoking in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Vehicle Management (Work-related Vehicle Safety) e-Learning
- Waste Recycling e-Learning Training Course
- Measuring and Monitoring of Workplace Conditions, e-Learning