Introduction to Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training Course
Fire in the workplace represents one of the most substantial workplace safety threats. It is a hazard not only for workers but potentially for nearby public as well.
Fires may result in serious injuries and death, it can also cause extensive damage to property, render worksites destroyed or indefinitely out of service.
Due to these reasons, and more, it is imperative to ensure that an effective workplace Fire Fighting and Prevention program, which is associated with an evacuation plan, is in place.
Aim of the Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training Course
Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training course deals extensively with the necessary precautions that must be taken to minimise the risk of fires in and around the workplace.
There is an in-depth examination on how fires may be caused along with the provision of the first means to extinguish them.
Through this Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training course employees who are responsible for firefighting in the workplace are provided with the necessary education and training in firefighting and prevention with the focus on:
- The identification of different types of fire in the workplace along with a working understanding of the risks associated with fire and how they can effectively be minimized.
- The ability of the learner to not only explain but practice basic fire prevention guidelines which are aligned with the NFPA Guidelines, and
- Teaching the learner how to fight and extinguish fires along with searching for and recovering casualties.
In the Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training course, the learner will learn how to safely use firefighting equipment such as Fire Extinguishers, Hose reels, and Fire Hydrants.
The successful candidate will be able to identify, contain, prevent, and extinguish different types of fire by applying the principles taught in this course and by operating basic firefighting equipment in addition to performing basic firefighting procedures.
This course also focuses on elements associated with fire emergency scene management along with introducing basic Emergency Evacuation Planning.
This course also aids in allowing for the elimination, prevention, and control of possible emergency situations that may arise in the workplace, at home, and outside of these environments.
Upon completion of this course, the attending candidate will be able to:
- Identify the essential elements of a fire and subsequently know how to proceed safely in managing fire conditions and prevent the spread thereof.
- Define their role as an emergency fire fighter along with describing how risks to themselves and others can be minimised effectively in addition to prescribing emergency contacts in the event of a fire.
- Identify the need of establishing a firefighting team along with the responsible person in case of evacuation of the workplace and the steps to follow in completing an accident report form.
- Identify the prescribed and required firefighting equipment which should be available in the workplace.
- Describe the safe use of the firefighting equipment when fighting a fire and preventing its spread, and
- Conduct and perform an emergency scene survey through the identification of fire hazards in the workplace in addition to impediments to safe fire evacuation unique to the workplace or job site.
Key Content Covered
The content of this course has been formulated around the prescriptive requirements as depicted in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 85 of 1993, Construction Regulation, 29, and the Environmental Regulations including, but not limited to:Theory:
- The chemistry of combustion, heat transmission, classification of fire and its spread.
- The causes of fire, fire precautions, fire extinguishers, and fire equipment..• The causes of fire, fire precautions, fire extinguishers, and fire equipment.
- Fire safety in the workplace and pre-planning for fires must be done.
- Fire safety signs.
- Demonstration in the correct use of fire extinguishers and other firefighting equipment.
- Practical demonstration on fire and evacuation drills.
- The organising of a fire team along with evacuation procedures.
The candidate attending the course will be assessed against the outcomes of each element through the completion of a subscribed knowledge assessment along with a practical assessment. These assessments will cover the essential embedded knowledge as stipulated in the course and will ensure that the candidate can apply the learning to a working situation.
Conditions of enrolment and certification
To gain access to this training program, it is mandatory that the employer subscribe to the SafetyWallet membership subscription so that the learner can enrol to any of the Health and Safety e-Learning training programmes.
Attending candidates must obtain a pass mark of at least 75% or higher is necessary in each Modular Assessment. Should these conditions have been met, the candidate will receive an accredited Certificate of Completion.
Other Training Availible
- Accident and Incident Investigation
- Drug Testing in the Workplace
- Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training Course
- Basic Fire Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Basic First Aid Level 1 e-Learning Training Course
- COID – Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Covid-19 Workplace Induction e-Learning Training Course
- Driven Machinery e-Learning Training Course
- Effective Contractor Management e-Learning Training Course
- Electrical Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
- General Driving Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Hazardous Chemical Substances HCS in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Health and Safety Representative Functions in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- HIV and AIDS Prevention in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Incident Reporting e-Learning Training Course
- Introduction to Working at heights and Fall Protection e-Learning
- Lifting Machine Operator Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Managing Infectious Disease in the Workplace e-Learning Training
- Occupational and Work-related Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Occupational Health and Safety Act for Management e-Learning
- Occupational Health Monitoring, e-Learning Training Course
- Permit to Work Systems e-Learning Training Course
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) e-Learning Training Course
- Planned Task Observations e-Learning Training Course
- Smoking in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Vehicle Management (Work-related Vehicle Safety) e-Learning
- Waste Recycling e-Learning Training Course
- Measuring and Monitoring of Workplace Conditions, e-Learning