Introduction to the Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
As per the Constitution of South Africa and section 24, every person has the right to a non-harmful environment. The framework to enforce this is contained in the National Environmental Management Act, 107 of 1998.
This course introduces the candidate to the National Environmental Act, the progressive environmental legislation in South Africa and globally, and provides understanding and promotes the employer’s obligation towards this Act.
Aim of the Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
To ensure that the candidate will have adequate knowledge on the formulation, implementation, and adoption of a detailed company Environmental Policy with the aim of protecting the environment.
To ensure that the candidate can adequately recognise the impacts of events and human activities on the environment and subsequently:
- Gather information relating to environmental impacts
- Report results of findings, and
- Take appropriate action to address the impact of human activities on the environment.
Another aim of this course is to ensure that the candidate becomes familiar with the importance of having a Waste Recycling and Management program in the workplace in addition to understanding the concept of waste recycling.
Lastly, the objectives of this course include:
- Creating personal and public awareness on environmental issues
- To encourage the employer to protect whistle-blowers
- The reporting of environmental incidents which take place within a prescribed timeframe, and
- Consequences pertaining to non-compliance with the National Environmental Management Act.
Course Outcome of the Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
Upon completion of this course, the candidate will be able to understand and be able to demonstrate, through the achieving of an integrated waste management plan, reliable information pertaining to:
- Environmental legislation and a clear understanding of environmental impact
- Environmental Management studies
- Implementing, monitoring, and evaluating minimisation and management strategies, and
- Dealing with environmental complaints.
Key Content Covered
The content of this course is aimed at defining the environment and surroundings in which humans exist or cohabitate. This includes areas such as land, water, and the atmosphere, along with human behaviour around the effect and impact on these elements.
Identification of Safety, Health, and Environmental hazards through the inclusion of safety responsibilities and accountabilities.
This is done through the solving of common problems and by making decisions through critical thinking when implementing, or creating, a workplace which is safe by effectively managing consequences to the environment.
The evaluation of potential hazards and the implementation of required processes which promote safety and health of employees by ensuring the protection of the environment and that it is secured under all conditions.
The following content is covered during the training and assessment of candidates:
- National Environmental Management Act Obligations According to NEMA
- How to protect the Environment and introducing companies’ Environmental Health and Safety Policies
- Protection of Whistle-blowers by the company, and
- The timeous reporting of environmental incidents along with the consequences of non-compliance with the National Environmental Management Act.
The content in this course serves the purpose of providing technical guidance to companies on:
- The development and/or reporting on the implementation of environmental implementation and management plans, and
- The combined environmental implementation and management plans as per the requirements stated in Chapter 3 of NEMA.
These guidelines are also developed with the purpose of encouraging and promoting consistency in preparation for and reporting on the environmental implementation and management plans by a company.
In addition, this also includes securing ecologically sustainable development while promoting justifiable economic and social development through avoidance and minimisation of the generation of waste.
The candidate attending the course will be assessed against the outcomes of each element through the completion of a subscribed knowledge assessment.
The assessment will cover the essential embedded knowledge as stipulated in the course and will ensure that the candidate can apply the learning to a working situation.
Conditions of enrolment and certification
To gain access to this training program, it is mandatory that the employer subscribe to the SafetyWallet membership subscription so that the learner can enrol to any of the Health and Safety e-Learning training programmes.
Attending candidates must obtain a pass mark of at least 75% or higher is necessary in each Modular Assessment. Should these conditions have been met, the candidate will receive an accredited Certificate of Completion.
Other Training Availible
- Accident and Incident Investigation
- Drug Testing in the Workplace
- Basic Fire Fighting and Prevention e-Learning Training Course
- Basic Fire Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Basic First Aid Level 1 e-Learning Training Course
- COID – Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Covid-19 Workplace Induction e-Learning Training Course
- Driven Machinery e-Learning Training Course
- Effective Contractor Management e-Learning Training Course
- Electrical Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Environmental Management e-Learning Training Course
- General Driving Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Hazardous Chemical Substances HCS in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Health and Safety Representative Functions in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- HIV and AIDS Prevention in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Incident Reporting e-Learning Training Course
- Introduction to Working at heights and Fall Protection e-Learning
- Lifting Machine Operator Safety e-Learning Training Course
- Managing Infectious Disease in the Workplace e-Learning Training
- Occupational and Work-related Diseases e-Learning Training Course
- Occupational Health and Safety Act for Management e-Learning
- Occupational Health Monitoring, e-Learning Training Course
- Permit to Work Systems e-Learning Training Course
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) e-Learning Training Course
- Planned Task Observations e-Learning Training Course
- Smoking in the Workplace e-Learning Training Course
- Vehicle Management (Work-related Vehicle Safety) e-Learning
- Waste Recycling e-Learning Training Course
- Measuring and Monitoring of Workplace Conditions, e-Learning